Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pottery Village

Hello everyone! I have so much to tell you all that I don't really know where to start...

I'll go with the Pottery Village experience first:
A couple months ago, Kristen, Giff, Erik and I drove up to Yomitan (which is where Uncle Tim lives- about 5-10 minutes from us) to go to the Pottery Village. We had heard about this place where they make their own clay for this amazing pottery that is famous in Okinawa. In this picture they are making the clay from the soil. Mom, if you remember I brought a vase home for you from Okinawa when I was here 6 years ago. I bought it in a store in Yomitan and it was made in this village.It was neat to see how they completely utilize the natural resources of the location to create beautiful art. They use this kiln that fires up the side of a hill. For some reason using a kiln like that is beneficial to them but we couldn't figure it out. Here we are standing by one of the kilns. Kristen and I crawled in one of the unused kilns.Kristen and I were excited about this place because we wanted to buy some pottery! But we were kind of disappointed because most of the pieces we were interested in were above our price range. We got over that quickly, especially once we saw there was a restaurant and realized we'd be eating soon.
There was some interesting plant life that we spotted while walking around the village...
Erik LOVES the vending machines in Okinawa. He may have already written about them, but they are all over the place here and you can get hot and cold drinks from them. Ever had a hot latte in a can? :)

2 comments:

amyputty said...

Audrey...first of all Okinawa sounds amazing. Second of all hot lattes in a can really doesn't sound very good. How do you hold it without burning your fingers. Isn't aluminium a conductor? I mean...do they give you those little cardboard slips like Starbucks??? Third, the Del Rio snow was amazing. It is funny how people who aren't used to it freak out. Good job for setting a positive example. Snow is fun!

Sounds like you are really getting to experience amazing things. Maybe you can buy at least one piece of pottery....you may never get to buy it again.

Audrey said...

Interestingly enough...no. it doesn't burn your hands, but yes, it is hot. i bought one today that was a warm tea. it was a total accident, i meant to buy a cold one, i just wasn't paying attention. but i let it cool down a littl bit before i drank it. and it was good, but the coffees are much much much better, they are really good