Hai, everyone. that means "yes, everyone." I know we said we would write on this alot when we got back, but when we got back we realized why we hadn't written on it in so long. Since we arrived back from the states Audrey has been back at work at camp Foster, doing her fitness coordinator thing, and I have been getting alot more flying hours. I flew a few times in the local pacific area, and then this weekend on what we called saturday, but what you would have called friday I was, for the first time, alerted to fly an Aeromedical Evacuation flight. This is one of the missions that my squadron does here. If department of defense people here in the pacific get sick enough they get flown to a better hospital. so these missions go places like osan and kunsan korea, misawa, yokota and iwakuni japan, guam, Saipan, Rota, kwajulein, iwo jima, or wake island. From there we take them to an island with a better hospital which is often kadena, but is sometimes hawaii or sometimes even to the west coast. For the mission i was on we flew patients to hawaii. It was really cool to fly a mission that was actually helping someone out. I felt the inital stress that someone like brianna must feel the first time they are helping someone out in that sort of situation. We were delayed by a few minutes in Guam, because in Guam you have to have your airplane inspected for brown tree snakes anytime you leave the island. I got a little testy on the radio asking for our inspection to hurry up and get to the plane since we were already loading patients and we didn' t want to delay takeoff because of a little old snake, but everything worked out well. In Hawaii we stayed at the outrigger at waikiki, which was awesome. but since we had been awake for around 24 hours, and for some reason it decided to rain in hawaii, we went out to dinner and then promptly crashed for 12 solid hours of sleep.
Other than all that i'm still getting ready for the Naha Marathon when is on December 7th down in the capital of Okinawa. i've missed some of the big important runs that i need to do like the 20 miler, but i think I'll be okay. I'm also going to try to brew beer along with Ryan. I bought us a kit while i was home called mr. beer. it finally mixes ryan's love for test tubes and chemicals when both of ours' love for...beer...good beer. so we'll see how that turns our, but I hear that it isn't possible to brew isopropyl alcohol, so at least we won't go blind. We also went snorkeling, and i saw a cool fish. it was bright yellow, but it was bordered by a bright redish color and the back half was bright green. and the fin was also a bright color, but I'm not sure which one. I spent an hour trying to google it to get a picture, but I couldn't find one. instead i saw alot of pictures of nemo and his friend, the funny one with no memory? we see those fish everytime we go snorkeling. anyways, hopefully we'll talk to you again soon
erik
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yay! i'm so glad you updated. thats really cool that you got to help someone by flying them to hawaii. I love hearing about the snorkling/scuba diving you do. I've always wanted to do that.
erik- ever think about getting a digital camera that you can get an underwater case for? might be able to get a refurbished one relatively cheap. at least we won't go blind...hahaha
~Ryan
Erik-I'm jealous of your medical missions! After talking to you at Scott's wedding, I definitly should look into something like that! It can be quite the adrenaline rush can't it?? By the way, Nemo's friends name is Dorie (sp?), and I'm pumped you referenced that movie it is quite possibly one of my all time favorites! You'll have to let me know if you go on any other fun exciting missions like that!! Take Care!
- Brianna
Post a Comment