
Our first Thanksgiving away from our family was a success!!! Turns out we don't really need you guys around after all! (I'm kidding! And my unexpected tears upon a Thanksgiving Skype call to my family will certainly attest to that.) But really, since we couldn't be surrounded by throbs of family we had the next best thing... throbs of friends and Uncle Tim!
We were supposed to have about 13 or 14 people over to our house for dinner and we were going to spread out over our dining room table and a card table. But a few of the guys ended up having to work and couldn't make it. Kristen's husband, Giff, has been in Australia for a few weeks and isn't getting back till a week into December, so he was MIA for the holiday. Uncle Tim had to work up in Nago on Thanksgiving and joined us later that night. Also, another friend, Mike, has been in Alaska for a while and isn't back yet. Yet another friend, John, got alerted to do an Aeromedical Evacuation and had to leave on Thanksgiving Day to fly some patients to California and Hawaii. He left his girlfriend, Lindsey, to finish the ham. Because we were missing a few people we decided to try to fit all 10 of us around our dining room table and it worked just fine!
Here from right to left: Katie and Marc Austin, Kristen, Kate and Leif Gilbertson.
Here's Erik carving the smoked turkey! YUM!!!
At the table waiting for Erik to finish with the turkey so we could all go around and say what we are thankful for this year.


Lndsey, Ari and Sara

Kristen next to a few of the dishes, including my sweet potato casserole. Yes, I know it's purple! The sweet potatoes they have here are that color inside. It looks scary but it tastes just the same. I had to have it!

This isn't everything we had. There was a second table full of food too!

After dinner at our house, we all carried our big tummies down the street to Kristen's house for dessert. The night before, Kristen and I had decorated all these sugar cookies that she baked. We started getting really creative towards the end (directly related to how tired we got). Notice the turkey disguised as a cow, the leaf that says pine needle, the leaf turned bat, and many more!



I had to represent the Goff Family way over here in Japan by making a turkey cake! Meet Tom the Turkey.



Here's Uncle Tim eating the plate full of food from dinner that I had prepared for him.


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving in Japan, but don't think for a second that our thoughts weren't on you all: our family and friends in the US. We each did whatever it was that made it feel like Thanksgiving here; whether it was a certain dish or tradition or decorations. I've noticed that you have to try a lot harder to get into the holiday spirit here. Obviously Japan doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, but it was even hard to tell on base that something special was coming up. We prepared as well as we could and had lots of fun and ate way too much!
Marines that I work with were telling me that they had briefs all day on Wednesday addressing safety during the holidays. The briefs were basically reminding them not to do anything stupid or not to commit suicide. Telling them to call a friend if they start feeling lonely and depressed and to stay away from alcohol, and so on. I can imagine that it is difficult for them in the barracks on the holidays.
I hope you all had a nice, relaxing holiday and that you enjoyed reading about ours. We'll be updating this thing more often so stay tuned for more exciting- ness! hahahha! Keep in touch :)
Love, Aud
4 comments:
Erik and Audrey-
I am soo glad you're Thanksgiving turned out so well. I can only imagine how hard it is being so far away during the Holidays. It was a wierd Thanksgiving for us as well, not being surrounded by mass chaos is different to say the least! I LOVE the turkey cake Audrey, and I will have you know that was the one thing I really missed this year so I was sooo happy to see the pictures..I know my mom will be thrilled as well! Take care, and keep blogging I love it!
Love, Bre
Glad you and Erik had a good time with friends, and Uncle Tim, for the holiday. Enjoyed your cake and cookie pictures. You girls are very talented artists.
Glad to know your blog is back in action. I missed it (as I told you while you were home).
Hope you Christmas and New Year holidays away from home are filled with friends as well.
Dan and Helen B
Audrey, I cooked the turkey for everyone over here and it turned out soo good for my first time cooking one! I was really proud of myself, having the responsibility of the main dish for like 14 people and pulling through with it! I also made that sweet potato dish! haha. With the marshmallows on it! Its so good. Everyone loved it! Thanksgiving was great over here too but of course its not the same without being with family.
Love you both,
Tim
ERIK AND AUD!!!
We really missed you guys for the holiday it didnt feel the same :( but it looks like you guys had a really good time with friends which is really good to see! I LOVE the turkey cake it looks so good haha! and those frosted cookies are hilarious! Ryan made the turkey here this year(since hes the only one who has actually been to Turkey) and it turned out deliciously delicious he did a really good jorb. guess what? its snowing here right now! i bet you guys are really jealous :) i love the blog! Skype me soon!
love, Katie
Post a Comment