Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thailand- days 1-4 in Bangkok

One of the coolest things we saw in Thailand was the Reclining Buddah at Wat Po in Bangkok. "Wat" means temple. Whenever we saw a temple off the side of the road or something, Kristen and I never got tired of saying, "WAAAT's that?" The following four pictures are all of the Reclining Buddah. It is enormous!


This next picture is outside the main temple at Wat Po. The statue in the picture can be seen in different poses all over the temple grounds.

At every Wat, there seems to be the main Buddah inside one of the temples and then outside there are always smaller buddahs where people can worship as well, lighting incense and donating flowers. Giff, Kristen, Erik and I pose for a picture while we wait for the water taxi. I was playing with the color functions on my camera.
On the water taxi...

There are street vendors everywhere!!! Sometimes you can get better food at their stands than at a sit-down restaurant. Thai food is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!!

Giant pictures of the king and queen (or just the king) are displayed all over Thailand.

Erik and I at one of the Wats.
Some monks worshipping. Their chants could be heard outside the Wat through speakers.

Yet another Buddah at yet another Wat. I don't really know why there are seven buddahs. I guess the more the better.

Fresh produce is easy to come by in Thailand. We ate lots of fresh mango, pineapple, and watermelon- YUM!! My favorite dessert there is fresh mango with sweet, sticky rice made with coconut cream.
Here is a picture of our tuktuk driver and then a picture of us 4 crammed in the back seat. 3 people can sit in the back, but we made it work. At one point on the trip we squeezed 6 people back there!




Motor bikes are very common there. It was also common to see a small child riding in the front. We saw two adults riding on one bike with a kid in the front and the woman holding an infant on her side! This family was kind enough to smile for the picture :) They must've forgotten the kid's helmet...
We went to the weekend market one morning. There were isles and isles that seemed to go on forever just like this one in the picture. The shopkeepers all said the same thing, "For you, special price! One time sale price!" haha, yeah right.


1 comment:

Jayci said...

wow!! I hope you got loads of cool stuff there. :) how hard was it to get there from japan? chrissy and i had thai food last night (and leftovers today) but I want it again and again!!