Goya is a popular food in Okinawa and other far east countries. It is in the gourd family and is rich in vitamin C and I have been told that it "keeps you regular." Goya has a very bitter taste so it is usually eaten in a mixture with scrambled eggs, ham (or spam of course) and some dressing.
I would like to elaborate a little more on mine and Kristen's goya experience. If you recall, that day she and I went on the grocery store tour, we decided to get some goya. We purchased it in a ready made mix with egg and... whatever that meat was. Yes, the goya did have a very bitter taste, but considering the health benefits (and Kristen and I are all about health benefits) we thought it was relatively good. Unless eaten with the meat. Of course I was the first one to dig in to the goya salad and shoved a mouthful of goya, egg, and what we now think was spam gone rotten into my mouth. (Those of you who are weak stomached may want to stop reading now.) Immediately I had the distinct taste of dog poop in my mouth. Seriously, it tasted just like dog dung smells. Actually, it tasted just like Addy's dung smells because it reminded me all of a sudden of the mess I pick up every morning when I take our dog out. Needless to say, I spit it out with a grotesque look on my face and told Kristen (who had been watching from the beginning) that she HAD to taste this stuff, "it's disgusting!" So, no surprise, Kristen dug herself up a hefty portion of the stuff and... same reaction. Giff was in the room and had witnessed both of us gagging and for some reason he wouldn't try it. ;)
Our conclusion: goya isn't that bad, (it's not that good, but it's not that bad). It was more the meat that ruined the experience for us. We are determined to try goya again, sans mystery meat.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Audrey-
Bill and I LOVE your blog entries..... such GREAT descriptions.... Have you ever tasted "dog dung" - Addy's or other???? Just wondering.....
Love the photos, too.
Hello to you, Erik, Kristen and Giff....
judy and Bill
that is so nasty!!! I use Goya coconut milk, but I'm pretty sure Goya is just the company? I'm not sure though now. I use it in a really yummy curry coconut chicken dish (it's in an old blog post summer o7 if you're interested). Nice descriptions of gagging... ugggh. :P Let me know how it is sans meat!
Post a Comment