Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's late but I want to get this thing set up



Hello everyone! It's April 13th and after 11 pm and I finally have the chance to sit down and write a little on our new blog site! Boy, the past 2 and a half weeks since I arrived in Okinawa have gone by in a whirlwind. Erik, and our friends Giff and Kristen (you'll probably be hearing a lot about them), picked Addy and me up at the Kadena airport on Friday, March 28th. Erik and I shoved all my luggage and the dog into his Nissan Skyline and then squeezed ourselves in and took off for our house. I LOVE our house! Besides the fact that Kristen and Giff live right down the street (a huge plus!), it is very conveniently located (5 min to base, 3 min walk to the ocean), and is in a great little neighborhood. Pictures to come of course.


I basically spent the first week falling asleep by 9:30, and while most people have told me that they would wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning, I had no problem sleeping until 7:00. Other than sleeping a lot, I had a whole house to unpack and organize while Erik was working. I was extremely motivated so it went by relatively quickly. Something we've done a lot of here is going out to eat, which is very uncharacteristic of us, but so hard to resist! There are dozens of little restaurants within walking distance of our house and all of them look apetizing. One of our favorites is a turkish place down the street at which we are already regulars and on a first name basis with the owner!


One of the first nights I was here, it rained into the morning. I took Addy outside to the side of the house where we have a covered walkway, and as I was standing protected from the rain, I noticed another creature affected by the waterlogged ground. A snail. This guy was huge! Here's a picture of it scooting up the inside of our covered walkway. Some people may not think this is that cool, but it's my first snail sighting so I was excited!





The second week here, Erik and I began searching for a car for me. I was hooked on getting as boxy a car as I could because they're just so funny looking. Being on an island, the roads can get pretty congested, so most of the cars here are narrow with a short wheel base. But it seems like in order to make up for the loss of space, they decided to add height to their cars, giving them a very boxy shape. It really is goofy if you think about it, because generally, Okinawans are pretty short, so when they drive these boxy cars with all the head space, they look even smaller inside, (not to mention the cars look like Tonka toys anyway). So we went to several used car dealerships and the lemon lot on base and I had my heart set on a beaut. This one was white and a real rectangle. I loved it. But then we truly found the car of my dreams at the lot across the street.
She's called the Green Apple. Bench seats in the front and back, and yes, I am sitting in the driver's seat on the right side, Kristen in the passenger's, and Addy is in the rear window. This is right before we went cruisin' on base; my first time driving it because Erik didn't think I should drive for the first time on the narrower streets off base... probably a good idea. Oh yeah, and the doors are green on the inside too. :)
Well, now it's past midnight and I have stayed up longer than I intended working on this blog. I kind of had a feeling that would happen. I have a lot more to write about and a ton more pictures to post... and you're probably thinking you were hoping for more than a snail and a weird looking car on the first post. Well, sorry! All I can offer you now is a preview of what's to come: Okinawan scenery, poisonous snakes, vegetable cereal, shrimp cocktail on dry ice, scuba diving and much more! Sayonara for now!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Guys! Glad to hear that you are settling in ok. A Skyline huh? I hear those cars are just as common as a Mustang over in Japan. I hope to be setting up a trip to visit some time!

Brian said...

You rock for setting up the blog. A family member that tech-savvy - finally

Tom and Patty Jo said...

Hi Audrey and Erik,

We are glad to hear that you and Addie made it safely to Okinawa. We are looking forward to your bloggy updates and pictures. Say hi to Tim for us.
Tom & Patty Jo
PS. Pilgrim sends his love to Addie.

Anonymous said...

Audrey and Erik,
It was great to get your blog. We are looking forward to the pics of Okinawa. Love the car! How wonderful to be minutes from the beach...we're coming to see you!
Love,
Ramona and Charles

judy cummings said...

Audrey-
THANKS for adding us to your blogging list. When Kristen was in the Peace Corps in Peru I followed the blog of two of her friends in addition to hers. It really gave depth the their experiences -and what one of them forgot to mention another one did..... Of course, all three of them were in different towns with three completely different experiences which added all the more color to the blogs.

We have some friends whose daughter went to school in Florence. I followed her blog, too.

Bill and I are so happy that we were able to meet you at the wedding. We look forward to meeting Erik one day. We are also happy that you and Erik live so close to Kristen and Giff. We can just imagine what FUN times the four of you are going to have so far away from this "home" as you all make your NEW HOMES there in Okinawa! We LOVE your little "apple" of a car. WHAT kind of car is it????
Say HI to Kristen and Giff - judy and Bill

Anonymous said...

Erik and Audrey, love your pics. Ryan, of course, wants to know more about the Skyline. I love the Green Apple! Can't wait to try some of the little restaurants when we visit. Love you guys, Linda

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you love the Skyline - are you used to driving on the other side yet? The Apple is just too cute! Glad to hear you are getting through the jet lag and enjoying the food.

Hey, now I know someone who can order Japanese car parts across the counter!

peterpeterpeter said...

your car is goofy lookin' =)

Unknown said...

Hey I'm glad to hear you two are having such a fantastic time already! Very exciting... I look forward to more updates :) thank YOU facebook!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Hey!! What kind of car is that!??!?! Looks like a square VW Bug!! Anyhow, you look cute in it? How is driving on the other side of the road going for ya???

Erin and Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin and Dan said...

Hey Audrey! I love the car :) Thanks for making a blog - it looks like you guys are having a lot of fun!
~Erin

Erin said...

Sounds like you two are having SOO much fun! I love the blog and seeing all your cool pictures! We miss you lots, but glad you are there! Good to hear you have friends to explore Japan with. I love the car by the way! Great color! Take care!

Love, Erin and Chris

charles said...

Great way to keep in touch. We are enjoying the pics and the updates. The scuba lessons sound like fun, but the driving would be a real challenge. We always leave the driving to someone else in countries where they drive on the "other" side of the road. Just remembering to look the opposite direction when crossing the streets is about all I can do. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

chico364 said...

Hello Audrey, I'm loving the new car. Those are pretty tight green 20"s on that car :-) j/k. The car looks really kool. Have you got use to driving over there yet? Just like everyone else I look forward to more blogs and pictures. I hope all is well for you and Erik. God Bless