but walk 3 miles in the middle of the day with bags full of household goods, right? Actually, yeah, that's about right. Although the walk was long, I did get to see something that I had noticed before driving by and wanted to look more closely. On base there are areas that are preserved b/c they are parts of Okinawan history. This is a large tomb that is supposed to represent the shape of a woman's womb. Each family has a tomb and the bigger the tomb the wealthier the family. This past weekend (April 11-13), my uncle Tim informed us, was a holiday in which people visit their family's tomb and pay respects to their ancestors. We noticed that the traffic skyrocketed and we could see fireworks from the roof of our house. Kristen and I have done some exploring of our own. She and I went on a Japanese grocery store tour. Ayano, our guide, walked us through the store and we could ask questions about anything we saw. We found that the Japanese use sweet potato a lot. They have sweet potato chips (purple bag in pic), sweet potato pie (not in pic, but delicious), sweet potato candies, sweet potato ice cream (and green tea ice cream!), and more. Kristen and I bought probably more than anyone else in the tour because we would see something, Ayano would explain what it was, and we'd want to try it. We bought ingredients to make our own miso soup at home (and an instant miso soup in case we messed it up), sweet potato chips, green tea, jasmine tea, kumquats, mini cokes, vegetable cereal in a bag, soy bread, okinawan lime candy, pancakes with beans, and a goya salad with mystery meat (not pictured b/c we were so disgusted that we threw it out- after we spit it out). More on goya later. 


This is the vegetable cereal we bought. It has pieces of dried veggies in it along with something like granola, but not as crunchy. It was really good! Erik and Giff, Kristen's husband, refused to try it.

5 comments:
hey you!!! Chrissy told me who and Erik had made it to Japan safely. Your exploring sounds FUN! The food.. wow! ha I'm glad that veggie-cereal was good. That is pretty different. But the granola would be yuuummmmy.
Japan looks BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad you posted that picture. It looks so green and mossy. We're all still waiting for it to stop SNOWING!
Hey girly! I LOVE your blog! It's such a great way to keep up with you guys! The grocery store sounds like it was definately an experience! I really wanna see pics of your house! If we ever get the chance we're definately coming to visit! Take care!
Japanese cuisine is quite inventive. I wonder how long it's going to take you guys before you break down and grill up a fat steak with baked potatoes and a cold beer!
Here's some Sushi Bar Etiquette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6v8IUe_0g
Hello Audrey and Erik, just reading ya'lls blogs makes me want to go up there and enjoy all the fun ya two are having. The pictures are beautiful that ya'll have taking. My prayers are with ya'll two. God Bless
Post a Comment