Erik: Just a quick story about audrey's open water diving class. It was a rainy sunday morning, and I didn't really want to get out of bed early although i had rented all the gear to go scuba diving with audrey's open water class. so i slept in and showed up for their second dive of the day. I was just wearing a swimsuit, shit and sandals when i walked down to meet her class on the concrete steps where the open water classes usually start diving (because it makes for an easy entrance). I walked down to say high, but little did i know, my sandals had no traction on the slippery wet part of the steps. I took one step and slipped, caught myself and took another step right onto an even slippery-ier part of the steps. then i fell down, and cut open my knee and ankel a little bit. it only hurt my pride, but for some reason, the combination of saltwater and it being on my lower body made it bleed a fair amount. luckily, everyone saw it, so the moment didn't go to waste. i then found out that before i had shown up audrey had taken a similar spill and actually rolled down about three of the large concrete steps. I went to get my scuba gear to dive with the group, hoping that no sharks would be attracted to my bloody leg, but knowing that saltwater is good to clean out wounds. then another kid, who actually was a dive instructor type fell down. he was wearing the felt soled diving shoes that everyone here wears because of alge and poisonous things to step on. but he still fell, and he was wearing his full dive gear. Up to this point i had been curious about what would happen if someone fell down with a scuba tank on... would it explode? would the top pop off? or would nothing happen? luckily, i guess nothing happens, unless your mouthpiece (regulator) is under the tank, then it breaks. So i would say i had the most triumphant fall, although i didn't see audrey's, but i didn't have the most expensive.
on a side note, i realized that i have bought the worst possible model of skyline that i could have. I was in a tight spot when i was looking for cars, i didn't have internet access and i was borrowing someone's car, so i really needed to hurry up and find one. so i found one that was stickshift, and had an upgraded exhaust system. my logic was: "well, i want a stick shift" and "who would bother to upgrade the exhaust on a car with a worthless motor" and of course the answer is the guy who i bought this car from. its got a RB20E engine, meaning a normall aspirated, 2.0 liter, inline six, and its SOHC, which i really can't believe, I didn't think the japanese even made SOHC engines, but whatever, from what i can figure it makes about 130 hp, and the speed limits are so slow here that there wouldn't even really be time for a turbo to spool up, so i don't know what i'm gonna do, except buy a motorcycle. but it does have a nice CD player, so its an upgrade from all my previous cars
We're thinking about buying a new computer, anyone out there know alot about computers? i just want to know what I need to make it last for the next few years (this computer has lasted since 2001). I'm thinking i want a desktop so i could upgrade it if i knew how to do that, and cause they normally cost less money and because i already have a nice monitor, but how much ram do i need? how much memory? and what kind of graphics card?
To let everyone know a little about travel, audrey is buying a ticket this summer to go to seattle and it is costing less than 1000, which is alot of money, but less than we thought it would be, and then of course getting anywhere other than seattle is a problem, but we'll figure all that out in november. apparently the free military travel is hard to plan for especially in the summer because that is the season where most people move around.
well anyways, we are going deep sea fishing today with a group of about 12, hopefully it doesn't end up like the trip i took with my uncles on lake michigan where everyone puked off the side of the boat at least once.
ohh, and those kids in baseball uniforms in audrey's post where the okinawa little league team which had just won the japanese championships, which was a big deal for okinawa, although it doesn't make it into the english papers really.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
dang - sorry about the fall, you two! That doesn't sound like fun, but nice job taking the cheaper of the falls.
About computers, I just bought a Macbook Pro in February and am loving every bit of it. I wanted a Mac because I heard they crashed a LOT less often than Window's computers, they have better basic programs for movies, photos, and music, and they are a lot more user friendly (now that I'm accustomed to it, it's hard to go back to PCs)... I hope that helps. But I don't know if you were in the market for a whole 'nother computer SPECIES. ha ha
Hey Erik, you can get decent laptops now here for about 500 bucks, try to get a minimum of a gig of RAM and I don't know how much storage you want but most computers come with at least 60 GB hard drives now which is quite a bit of room unless you're doing digital video stuff. get a dual core processor if you get a PC. most come with good processors now but I was reading in most cases the video card is now just as important because of all the animation stuff on windows and in websites.
on scuba tanks and high pressure air tanks the really vulnerable part is the valve at the top, if that gets loosened or knocked off you are in a ton of trouble, so just make sure that doesn't happen...
Mac's are nice buy you'll pay a premium for them. Desktops are obviously less expensive than laptops or you get more for the same price. email me if you want to talk more about the stuff.
love
Ryan
Erik: You need to trade that lump of metal in for a GT-R!! Or swap that motor with a real RB26GTE!! I think that it's just awesome that you have access to some of the coolest cars on the planet.
Uncle Brian here...
Mac or PC..your call. I have had nothing but great luck with PC's but I am sure that others experiences are different. Having been in the industry for 20+ years, I can recommend that you can never buy to much computer - laptop or PC. Try for 2GB RAM, a DuoCore processor or a Quad core processor of at least 2.0Mhz, 250 GB hard drive and a video card that ihas at least 256 MB of RAM. NVIDIA makes a nice model called the 8600GT - Great all around card that will do nicely if you wnat to get into gaming as well.
Keep the posts coming! They are great and I hope you are making pictures for your kids - HAH - hows that for no pressure.!
Post a Comment